Monday, July 29, 2013

Perfect Peace

Perfect Peace

You will keep in perfect peace all who trust in You, all whose thoughts are fixed on You..  Isaiah 26:3

The story is told of a voyage in rough seas.  One of the terrified  passengers came up the stairs leading to the captain who was struggling to maintain control of the boat.  As he came into view of the captain, he was startled to see a look of perfect peace on his face ... in stark contrast to the fear which gripped the passenger.  He stared a while and then turned and went back to his quarters ... his confidence in the captain and his ability to bring him through the storm, restored.

A friend related a couple of stories about events happening in her family's lives...both causing (and justifiably so) much concern.  She'd given them to God.... but what came to mind this morning, is that if we truly place our concerns at His feet and walk away, our countenance should reflect the fact that we've given this heavy burden to Him  and we've been relieved of it.  

So often mine does not.  It's like I'm watching God hold my burden and doing all the worrying for Him.  In reality, I've not given Him the burden because part of the burden is my anxious heart.  

I'm not talking about  visualizing an "all will work out well, the ship will not sink, the child will get well, the bank will not foreclose" scenario because most of the time the end result is an unknown.  The only thing I'm confident of is that the Lord God Almighty is orchestrating  events and driving the boat. I gaze into His face which is perfect peace.  I go back into my life, reflecting His...perfect peace.  

Whether it is by still waters and green pastures....He is leading.

Whether it is through the valley of the shadow...He is still leading.  

And in His face, in His countenance is perfect peace...which He is willing to give me too, as His disciple.

So my move is to give Him the burden...yes.  But I don't believe I'm to walk away until my countenance reflects a peace that fills my heart.  

Sometimes it's not instantaneous. Sometimes I have to come back repeatedly.   But that is what I pray for...that's my expectation because as my Teacher, that's His goal...that I be like Him in all respects.  And His promise...His intent...is that He will keep me in perfect peace ( mind, will and emotions) if my mind is fixed on Him.  

Fixed....it does not deviate.  When it does, as soon as I realize it has deviated, I pull it back to Him.  Because I trust Him.  

I trust Him because I have seen His faithfulness in my past...the basis for His faithfulness in my future.  

Does your countenance reflect the captain's?

No comments: