Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Ask


Ask

Yesterday, my husband was deliberating about whether to keep a doctor's appointment or not.  I listed the pro's and con's to going now versus later.  Didn't work.  Going later vs now.  That didn't work either.  He continued to agonize.  Maybe agonize is not the word...he's not stressed in the least.  Just loves to chew on things.

What I did not say was, "Ask God."

I don't know exactly how he prayed about this but the way we usually pray is...."Father, help me know what to do about _____. Amen."  Get up.  Walk off.

Why don't we just ask Him?  "Father, should I go to the doctor tomorrow?"  Then stay right where we are and silently wait for Him to tell us.

 I've never heard Him say, "I'm not going to tell you."

Amazing thing about not telling him this yesterday was this had just happened to me a few weeks ago.  I was trying to decide whether to go to a new dermatologist (the next day) vs the old one (a month later when I could get an appointment.)  So I asked.  "Wait,"  was His response.

Not the answer I wanted.  I wanted, "Go.  Today."

 Oooooo....so not sure whether to wait.  This new mole has emerged and it looks odd.  But I waited.  Had to.  I'd asked and He said wait.  If we just ask Him to show us what to do, that's more nebulous, isn't it....open ended.   If you ask exactly what to do,  then it's cut and dried and if you don't agree and do what He says...you've moved right into disobedience.  

Is my will truly... lost in His or do I just want His opinion?

So I waited.  I was ok with waiting.  I knew He had said to wait.

Three weeks later, out of the blue, the choice reemerged.  I asked again.  He said, "Go."  I went.

I don't hear an audible voice.  Sometimes there is silence and I just wait. It's not an "I'm not going to tell you, " I just know  it's not time to be to told yet.  The  next time I feel I should ask, I do.  The response is always short and to the point.  It is never condemning.

Before I began doing this, I began to notice when I read, how many times it said, "and God said to ____..."  Cut and dried. From how to construct buildings, arks...to what to tell the people.

1 Samuel 30:7...David inquired of the Lord saying, "Shall I pursue this band?  Shall I overtake them?"  And He said to him, "Pursue, for you shall surely overtake them and you shall surely rescue all."

We've kind of put a lid on that haven't we.  It sounds too....charismatic or something...like what if that's not His voice?

If you are His child, your sins are confessed, fellowship with Him open and unobstructed, your will is aligned with His and the Word is your guide, then ask.

You will know it's Him.  After all....He is your Father.

No comments: